Subject: Re: Noctilux 50
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 18:49:26 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> Adi wrote:
>
> <<I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the 50mm
> Noctilux-M, like what is so special about it, what it has been corrected
> for, perfromance at max and various apertures, and comparision with the
> Summicron or even the Summilux 50's.>>>>
>
> Hi Adi,
> A couple of things and I'm sure you'll get an armpit of statistics, however this
> is from real time experience and I've been using one since the lens came out.
>
> I use mine for my documentary work with the medical profession in B&W and
> shooting some advertising assignments where I shoot available light colour. At
> light levels where others fear to tread without a bunch of lights being added to
> the scene. You have to see the results as it can't be explained in technical
> terms, but that doesn't mean diddly squat any way, as all that counts is " do
> you want to shoot and capture images you otherwise couldn't with any other
> lens?"
>
> 1/  the Noctilux is made to be used wide upen at f.1 and if you don't intend on
> using it under critically low light levels,  save your money and buy something
> else.
>
> 2/  It will give you results of a pleasant ethereal look, and again I say when
> working wide open or stopped down one stop. Preferably wide open.
>
> 3/ backgrounds become a mush of totally out of focus colour or b&W shades of
> gray. Gorgeous effect!
>
> As far as other stops, who cares!  This is a lens made for next to nothing in
> light levels you can't imagine shooting under and having a correct exposure.
>
> ted

Ted,

I have heard great experiences about this lens from others.  I think you
are right, you have to forget about any tests and look at the pictures
it delivers.  Isn't that what counts anyway?

I just wish it was not so expen$ive, and a bit on the heavy side.

What can you tell us about the weight and bulk of this lens when you are
using it?

Thanks!  Dennis
- --
Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown