Subject: Re: Noctilux 50
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 22 Mar 97 15:40:24 EST

Adi wrote:

<<I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the 50mm
Noctilux-M, like what is so special about it, what it has been corrected
for, perfromance at max and various apertures, and comparision with the
Summicron or even the Summilux 50's.>>>>

Hi Adi,
A couple of things and I'm sure you'll get an armpit of statistics, however this
is from real time experience and I've been using one since the lens came out.

I use mine for my documentary work with the medical profession in B&W and
shooting some advertising assignments where I shoot available light colour. At
light levels where others fear to tread without a bunch of lights being added to
the scene. You have to see the results as it can't be explained in technical
terms, but that doesn't mean diddly squat any way, as all that counts is " do
you want to shoot and capture images you otherwise couldn't with any other
lens?"

1/  the Noctilux is made to be used wide upen at f.1 and if you don't intend on
using it under critically low light levels,  save your money and buy something
else.

2/  It will give you results of a pleasant ethereal look, and again I say when
working wide open or stopped down one stop. Preferably wide open.

3/ backgrounds become a mush of totally out of focus colour or b&W shades of
gray. Gorgeous effect!

As far as other stops, who cares!  This is a lens made for next to nothing in
light levels you can't imagine shooting under and having a correct exposure.

ted