Subject: Re: Noctilux Review (English) by Erwin Puts
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 97 02:51:59 -0400

>The overall contrast of the Noctilux
>however never reaches the level of the two brothers.

Erwin,

Thanks for the translation.

I've head that the low constast some of the faster Leica lenses exhibit,
especially wide open, is a deliberate design decision. The thinking is
that because these lenses will often be used in bad light, this
compensates for overly contrasty lighting conditions.

I'm not sure that I buy this--I would think that you'd welcome increased
contrast in dim light. Is this true, or is this simply rationalizing?

- - Paul