Subject: Re: Noctilux Review (English) by Erwin Puts
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 28 Mar 97 10:01:16 EST

Paul wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<because these lenses will often be used in bad light, this
compensates for overly contrasty lighting conditions.

I'm not sure that I buy this--I would think that you'd welcome increased
contrast in dim light. Is this true, or is this simply rationalizing?>>>>>>>>>>>

PMFJI
Paul,

I believe you are thinking of an "overall no contrast low light level" rather
than the contrast level of an operating room, theater or where there is a
contrast of light and deep shadows in a restaurant or lounge.  Or even the home
with someone primarily lit by a reading or desk lamp.

In the above instances, the Noctilux records an image unlike other lenses, as
this "high contrast" difference between light source and subject is where it
really shines as a lens, by softening the flare from the light source, therefore
opening shadows. And one doesn't want added contrast in these situations, but a
softening or flattening of the contrast.

However in your description of "low light no contrast" which 	 beleive you are
thinking of, you are right in having a lens that aids the contrast rather than
flattening. The reverse of the Noctilux.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant