Subject: F-L-O-U-R-I-T-E, or, the Mumbo-Jumbo
From: "Peter Jon White" <pjwhite@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 20:07:38 +0000

Greetings,

I have just completed construction of the first working prototype of
the Mumbo-Jumbo. At a bit over a meter in diameter, it's quite a
handful, but all that mass makes it remarkably steady for hand-held
shots at slow shutter speeds. That is if you can lift it!

The M-J utilizes a new type of glass with dispersion characteristics
so low they can only be described as, "Bottom of the Barrel", which
apparently is where Hoya went to find the glass blanks they shipped
us.

The motivation for developing the Mumbo-Jumbo (or the M-J as Thomas
and I like to call it), is to achieve the narrowest depth of field
possible. At 1000mm and f:0.95 the M-J achieves a minimum depth of
field of .003 nanometers. Essentially, nothing is in focus but the
effect is truly awe-inspiring. The entire subject is a total blur
except for a razor thin line that tracks the contours of whatever it
is you're photographing! The fact that you have no idea what you've
just photographed only enhances the viewing experience.

While production of the M-J will begin next week, Thomas and I are
already working on an improved design, utilizing a non-collapsible
mount. This new mount will hopefully solve the somewhat awkward
problem of the entire lens collapsing under it's own weight. We're
calling it the Mumbo-Jumbo-Supreme, or just M-J-S for short.

Peter Jon White