Subject: Re: Noctilux Review (English) by Erwin Puts
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 10:07:56 -0500 (EST)

I would think that in dim light you would want increased local contrast
(i.e. tonal separation) between adjacent tonal values, but reduced overall
contrast between very bright and dim areas (or at least less flare from
the bright areas.)

On 28 Mar 1997, Ted Grant wrote:
> <<<<<<<<<<because these lenses will often be used in bad light, this
> compensates for overly contrasty lighting conditions.
>
> I'm not sure that I buy this--I would think that you'd welcome increased
> contrast in dim light. Is this true, or is this simply rationalizing?>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> PMFJI
> Paul,
>
> I believe you are thinking of an "overall no contrast low light level" rather
> than the contrast level of an operating room, theater or where there is a
> contrast of light and deep shadows in a restaurant or lounge.  Or even the home
> with someone primarily lit by a reading or desk lamp.
>
> In the above instances, the Noctilux records an image unlike other lenses, as
> this "high contrast" difference between light source and subject is where it
> really shines as a lens, by softening the flare from the light source, therefore
> opening shadows. And one doesn't want added contrast in these situations, but a
> softening or flattening of the contrast.
>
> However in your description of "low light no contrast" which 	 beleive you are
> thinking of, you are right in having a lens that aids the contrast rather than
> flattening. The reverse of the Noctilux.
>
> ted
> Victoria, Canada
> http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933