Subject: Re: Burning film
From: Steve <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 07:57:56 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> <<<>Responding to:  Kari Eloranta:>>>>>>>

> I thought you might find this an interesting number:  LOOK magazine, now
> defunct, used 8 photographs for a feature on Japan and the photographer, Paul
> Fusco screened and edited 9000 35mm frames before they got to the printed 8.
> Some of those numbers came about from one situation where he road on the back of
> a motorcycle, shooting a pretty Japanese girl riding on another bike as they
> weaved through downtown Tokyo traffic. It was a wild ride to say the least, but
> the one image was so fantastic, it was worth the many rolls it took to acquire.
> Blurrs and stopped action!

While such shooting certainly occurs, it is by no means the only way to
go.

Does anyone out there remember or know John Silengo?  He was a very
experienced Photo Journalist who was also an amazing technician.

He was hired to photograph the then new Disneyland Sleeping Beauty
Castle at night, surrounded by fireworks.

A portion of the park was closed off to control the crowds.  Total park
personnel involved with the shot was 100+.    John showed up with a
Leica, a 50 mm lens, and a tripod.

He calculated what he needed, shot the pic, and then started packing his
gear.

Whoever was in charge of the Disney personnel started falling all over
himself asking  "Don't you want to take more shots in case the first one
doesn't turn out.?

John replied  "Why?  If this one doesn't turn out, there is nothing I
can do to make the others turn out either."

The shot came out perfectly, the first time.

For years, it was the signature poster of Disneyland.

Stephen Gandy