Subject: Re: Burning film (was Leica bashing on usenet groups)
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 17:26:54 +0200

Interesting comments. IMHO Kari is pretty close to reality. The shutter
delay has a real impact on the number of good pictures you bring home. If
could get your shutter fire exactly at the moment that you visualize your
picture, the result will be the visualized image (if no external or
technical surprises). If your shutter fires 17ms later, your subject has
changed a little, 100ms later more, 250ms later much more and a week later
completely. Seems quite obvious to me.

In terms of the Noctilux, I don't think that in general photographic
practice there is an essential difference with the Summilux 1.4/50mm. The
Noctilux transmits twice as much light as the Summilux but the trade off is
massive light fall-off in the corners and a somewhat lower overall quality
of the image compared to Leica's other 50 mm's. Also the depth of field at
f1 is extremely small: distance 1 meter: 0,99 - 1,01 m. 2 meter: 1,96 - 2,05
m. 3 meter: 2,90 - 3,11 m! Probably interesting only for people doing almost
exclusively lowlight photography.

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.

, >