Subject: Re: NO SUBJECT/shutter response
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 10:14:29 -0500

Bill Welch wrote:

> Ted Grant wrote:

> > If we could do a poll in this group of those who shoot sports and or action
> > photography on a regular basis might be interesting to find out:
> >
> > A/  Were you aware of this millisecond delay?
> >
> > B/  If so, do you compensate your shooting?
> >
> > C/  And if you compensate, How much?
> >
> > D/  Now that you know about it, are you going to worry about it?
> >
> >....(and more of this)
>
>         Why do you seem to want to dismiss or even denigrate those who remark on this
> finding, or to imply that to do so is a waste of time? There seems no dispute that a
> delay in shutter response of SLRs exists, regardless of brand. Marc has explained the
> mechanical reason.
>         You find that shutter response has no application in your work, and has had none
> in your many years of experience. Fine. Others have a different experience. It doesn't
> mean they don't like their cameras as much as you like yours, or that they need to
> switch systems. It's just one more factor for them to consider in shooting. Of course
> one doesn't calculate a compensation factor for that microsecond every time he or she
> presses the shutter button. That's silly.
>         Why deny that shutter response is meaningful for other photographers or imply
> that they are foolish to consider it? A photographer shooting action wants a camera that
> feels responsive to his hand and eye. That's what this is really about.
>         If I have misread your postings on this issue, I apologize in advance. But that
> is what your words and tone imply to this reader.
>
> Bill Welch

There is no doubt that there is a delay in the responsiveness in one
camera over another, just as one person's reflexes are better than
anothers.  What I think Ted was getting at is that when you shoot
anything using the same system you get accustomed any delays inherent in
the equipment and your mind automatically adjusts for these delays.

Lets be realistic here, the delay from you mind telling you to press the
shutter release to when it happens is greater that the mechanical delay
we are talking about.  This is where ANTICIPATION comes into play.
Remember the British sprinter at this past Olympics who was disqualified
for jumping the gun?  He actually started after the gun, but the
computer said it was faster than was humanly possible.  I think the
delays we are talking about here are in the same category.

Having said this; I can see how a photographer who has used mostly M
serries cameras with the faster release would find a delay in the SLR
cameras annoying, Just as I find the delay in some of the amature
cameras I have picked up annoying. However; I personally never noticed
the delay when using professional equipment and I have used Leica,
Nikon, and Canon in my sports coverage, nor did this alledged delay keep
me from getting excellent photos at any of the NBA, MLB, PGA, NCAA or
NFL games I have covered.

IMHO

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com