Subject: re: Photo and monitors
From: Michael Bell <MBell@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:14:52 -0600 (CST)

and Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> wrote:

>This assumes that everybody sets the same contrast and brightness levels on
>the monitors,
[snip]
>It is true that some monitors only support 256 colours (or perhaps only 12,
>for that matter), whereas my page (and most pages with colour photographs)
>requires at least 64K of colours, but this isn't the issue I was alluding to.

Brightness/contrast controls and the number of colors probably are the
biggest causes of the problems.

I've seen an image made with a Kodak DC-40 digital camera look very
different on the same computer/monitor just by changing the monitor setting
from millions of colors to thousands of colors.  I'm sure pictures derived
from high quality negative scans would show even more of a difference.  I
sure wish we had a negative scanner where I work.  Maybe it's time to start
begging again.

As far as brightness and contrast, people don't even bother to set it
correctly on their TVs, much less their computer monitors.

Different types of monitors are going to look different too and different
types of graphic software will show differences.

About all you can really hope for is that the person at the receiving end
of the image has the good sense to tweek it properly.

Michael Bell
MBell@mail.utexas.edu