Subject: Re: opportunities in Austin
From: MBell@mail.utexas.edu (Michael Bell)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:18:12 -0600 (CST)

sproul@psc.psc.sc.edu (Robert Sproul) wrote:

>        I will be in the Austin, Texas area on April 6 thru 10. Is their
>anything in particular, other than the wildflowers, that I should try to
>visit and photograph?

The Wildflowers (and some not so wild) alone could keep you quite busy
shooting.  I spent most of last weekend shooting flowers.  We have had a
good amount of rain in the past couple of months which has contributed to
some of the best spring flowers in a while.

A visit to the Zilker Botanical Gardens is a must.  This past weekend there
were several pro shots (wedding and otherwise) going on there as well as
dozens of snap shooters.  I would suggest going earier in the day so it is
not so much trouble keeping people out of your shots... unless of course
you want people in your shots. Near the Botanical Gardens is Barton Springs
in Zilker park.  This has served as a very popular year round swimming hole
in Austin for many decades and is a very beautiful place.

At home I have a newspaper article listing the prime wildflower places.  I
will try to dig it out when I get home.

All along the Colorado River there is much to photograph.  West Austin is
hilly and rocky (for Texas anyway).  Mount Bonnell is a good place for
pictures and offers a nice distant view of downtown Austin.

Downtown Austin, especially around the Capital is pretty good for photos.
Many of the clubs and bars are on or near 6th street which is in full force
every night.

The University of Texas campus is a very rich resource.  There's some
pretty nifty buildings, statues and fountains.  Also since it is such a
liberal school there's always an interesting variety of people around.
Guadalupe Street (AKA The Drag) which is the western boarder of the campus
is particulary diverse.

At the Harry Ransom Center on the UT campus there is supposed to be a very
impressive collection on the history or photography.  One of these days I
am going to get myself over there to see it.  Also at the Ransom Center
they have an original Guttenburg Bible (which I have seen) among other
historical items.  Typically they have some of James Mitchener's art
collection on display, but sometimes there are temporary shows up.

That's what I can think of for now.

UT's main web page is www.utexas.edu.  There should be a link to an Austin
page.

>Also, are their any camera shops that I should visit?

This area is pretty weak.  There is only one decent camera store, Precision
Camera.  They usually have a little bit of used Leica stuff, but their
prices tend to be high.  They have medium and large format equipment too,
and also rent.  The University Co-op (on Guadalupe) has a good selection of
film and other supplies at good prices.

I work in the Media Lab in the College of Education at UT.  Please feel
free to email or call me if you have any questions or need anything.

Michael Bell
mbell@mail.utexas.edu
(512) 471-3234 work
(512) 459-3475 home