Subject: Re: Lens Variability
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 08:17:18 -0800

Charles E. Dunlap wrote:

> I've noticed variability in the coatings on recent 90/2.8 lenses from
> Solms. I sent two back to B+H before I got one that did not have flaws. If
> quality control is sometimes lax on coating inspections it might also be
> lax on lens element alignment or grinding.

Charles,

Just how do we tell these things except by comparison??  I have heard
people talk about getting a "bad" lens, but is there any sensible way to
check coatings and especially alignment of new lens before exchange
period runs out??  Cost??  A friend of mine who shoots Canon has
arrangement with store where he buys everything to give him at least
three copies of a lens he is comtemplating for testing and selection.
He says it is the only way he can assure getting a good Canon lens.  But
how many dealers of Leica would offer such service, or even can afford
to stock that many??

Thanks,

Donal Philby
San Diego