Subject: Re: shutter delays
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:12:37 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> how many of the great shooters of sports from SI or other sports photography
> agencies even relate to this (shutter delay) technical situation.  Or are even aware that it
> exists and if they do, even consider it as a daily concern in their shooting?

Ted,

They do.  But maybe not for what you think.  A couple months ago we had
in the studio for the day a representative from the Flash Wizzard.  Also
here were several accomplished sports photographers such as John
McDonnough and Andy Hayt.  The goal was to demonstrate how to hook
several cameras--both 35mm and 6x6--to the same strobe system for
simultaneous syncing at basketball arenas.  The FWizzard will test each
camera's shutter, figure out the delay, and trip the flash accordingly.
To sync more than one,  the delay is measured and programmed into each
camera's receiver.  Then when the primary camera is fired, each other
camera's shutter is fired with the proper delay and all shutters are
open simultaneously.    Some of the NBA shooters are working with five
cameras.  Only one sync cord to primary camera is needed, of course.

How would you like to pay their film expenses?

'course after decades of shutter popping, your reactions get a little
slow.  So I began to hit the buttom on Good Friday hoping to catch
Easter sunrise.  A couple more years and I'll be starting before Lent.

Donal Philby
San Diego