Subject: Re: Message VS Medium--It Ain't the Camera
From: Steve <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 17:24:53 -0700

Claes Bjerner wrote:
>=20
> Stephen Gandy wrote:
>=20
> >There would be a lot more great photographers, and a lot less camera
> >manufacturers, if photographers spent their money on classes/film/pape=
> >and learned how to be photographers instead of spending their money on
> >new equipment.
>=20
> Stephen, could you please elaborate a little on "classes/film/paper". A=
nd guys like Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa, Richard Avedon and W.Eug=
ene Smith - what Photography Schools did they ever go to? Can you name on=
e single really great photographer in the World who received a formal the=
oretical education in photography?
>=20
> Talent is something you either have, or you don=B4t have. You can=B4t j=
ust learn it!
>=20
> Claes Bjerner

I was referring more to workshops given by successful photogs than a
formal four year curriculum.   I am a fan of only one four year school,
the Art Center of Design in Pasadena, California. =20

My point is changing cameras or lenses will not make anyone a better
photographer. =20
All they will do is make the same images a different way. =20

I'm not so sure "talent is something either have, or you don't have."=20
People have long argued about this point in terms of photography.   The
best photographer I ever knew said it was a trade, not an art.  Whether
its true or not, I am sure most people will take a lot better pics if
they spend money on taking pics than buying cameras.

The main problem is our egos. =20

Its a lot easier to blame bad photos on our cameras than ourselves!!!

Stephen Gandy