Subject: Strange Summarit
From: Joel Tlumak <JT@JMBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:40:56 -0700

The Summarit is one of the strangest of the Leica lenses, a
lens that has provoked mostly unfavorable reactions from
users but also some very favorable reactions.  I am one of the
Summarit's big adherents, but I have to let people know that I
like the Summarit because of characteristics others object to.

First, I prefer a fast 50mm lens to be low contrast.  When I
shoot a high contrast scene, such a lens is perfect for me,
especially in very low light.  As for a low contrast scenes, the
Summarit gives me the subdued colors I prefer.  I cannot
dispute what Erwin Puts says about the Summarit but I have
found that in very low light its sharpness is quite good and I
haven't noted any significant lack of detail rendering.

But I am talking here about very low light photos, at cafes,
poetry readings, small club concerts, still life photos in
churches and museum, etc., and I get great pastel type
coloring and more than enough sharpness for 11x14
enlargements.  Since it is difficult to find low contrast lenses,
the Summarit is therefore a very special lens -- for me and
those who like low contrast lenses.  The other 50mm I use a
lot, the Canon 50mm f/1.8, is not a true contrast lens per
se but it is not a high contrast lens either and I like it because
of its sharpness and what I believe is slightly lower than
average contrast.

Thus, I use the Summarit and the Canon for the type of work I
like to do.  I assume many photographers may not like those
lenses for the same reasons I prefer them.  I have heard the
Leica produces fast lenses that specifically stress high
contrast in low light for more bite.  Again, it all depends on
what you are talking about as low light.  Much of the low light I
shot in is high contrast already.  As far as low light contrast
scenes, I thrive on low contrast colors.  As far as black and
white is concerned, I use XP2 in low light and exploit XP2's
great tonal quality and the Summarit has never let me down.
But yes, it is a low contrast lens that many people will not like.