Subject: Nikonos and surface lenses
From: Joel Tlumak <JT@JMBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:30:37 -0700

The remarks on the Nikonos V deserve some additional
comments.  Although the use of Nikonos cameras in general
is excellent for some surface use rather than just underwater
use, the use of a 28mm f/2.8 Nikonos above water lens is one
of the great advantages of the use of any Nikonos camera.  I
use a Nikonos II exclusively with the 28.  I thought they were
hard to find, but I frequently see them advertised.  Del's
generally has had one above water 28 most of the time, with
the price generally around $300.  Guess focusing, of course,
is much easier with the 28 than with the 35.  I love that lens
and the Nikonos II, while not as quiet as the IV and V versions,
is nonetheless a solely mechanical camera without meter that
is still quite silent.  I too love the Nikonos V, which I've tried out
on two occasions and will probably buy one, although my
Nikonos II takes me into inclement weather  with sometimes
remarkable results.

I used to use an optical 28mmm finder but I now use the
Nikonos big rubber sportfinder.  Difficult to get used to at first,
but once you do get used to it works fine.

By the way, the 35mm lens is extremely good in low light with
fast film.  I use my Nikonos II and the 28mm lens almost
exclusively with ISO 800 for night shooting, both in clear as
well as in wet weather.  As far as guess focusing is
concerned, like anything else in photography if you like the
equipment you get used to its foibles and learn to use what
you like.  In lens quality and as a silent camera, the Nikonos
cameras are superb alternatives to Leicas, especially for
bad weather.

Also, I also carry with me with the Nikonos a Leica
rangefinder, the one that was made to attach to an old Leica
screwmount that doesn't have a rangefinder.  I use that
rangefinder for close distance work and keep in a shirt
pocket.

Finally, the Nikonos II and IIIs are smaller cameras than the IV
and Vs and full mechanical.  The ideal is to have one of both,
i.e., if you can get used to scale focusing.  You cannot find a
more durable camera than the Nikonos IIs or IIIs.