Subject: Re: LEATHER
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 97 19:40:53 -0400

> Is it ok to treat the vulcanite/leather on my M4 with Armor All.  If so,
>that would be a good way to extend the life of the leather.  Thanks, Hal

Hal,

I'm convinced that the problem with Vulcanite falling off of older Leicas
is a problem with the glue, not with the Vulcanite material itself. The
Vulcanite is somewhat brittle (at least with age), but is OK as long as
it is stuck down tight. Once the glue starts to let go, however, it is no
longer bonded tightly to the metal and can flex and crack when it is
handled. Eventually it will start to break off in the areas that get the
most wear, like the ends of the body (especially around the strap lugs
and near the tripod-socket end of the baseplate, where the baseplate
hooks onto the body), and on the back door. I'd be cautious about using
something like Armor All. I'd be afraid that it would attack the glue--I
assume that Armor All is petroleum based, which would be bad news for
many adhesives.

On CompuServe, someone said that Leica recommends using Lemon Oil on
Vulcanite.

I used to think that Vulcanite was a kind of hard rubber, but the pieces
that have fallen off of my M3 seem more like plastic. Before trying to
treat it, it would be a good idea to find out exactly what it is.

- - Paul