Subject: Traces of Yul Brynner
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 97 13:43:09 -0700

Someone mentioned Yul Brynner as a passionate Leica photographer some time
ago. I was very surprised when I found his tomb the other day, just about 10
miles from where I am living. He is buried in the Orthodox Monastery of Luze
from the 12th century (Abbaye Saint Michel de Bois Aubry). I was told that
this has been a "secret" for many years.=20

Yul Brynner was born in Vladivostok, Soviet Union July 11 1920 and died in
New York, October 10 1985. According to his last will, his ashes was
transferred to this silent place, so far away from the World. There is a
simple, beautiful tomb stone, almost Zen, on an open place, and the wind
blows even on sunny days. A handful of Orthodox monks and nuns still live
and work there.

Oddmund   =20

PS: I found a short book review...

"Yul Brynner: Photographer (Abrams. $39.95) Turns out the late Yul Brynner
liked working the other side of a camera, too, so his daughter Victoria
Brynner has compiled his photographs into this book. Yul had advantages in
this avocation, of course, starting with access to co-stars like Anthony
Quinn and Ingrid Bergman (who turns out to be one of his best subjects). But
he also shot children =97 famous children, children in refugee camps =97 and=
 the
collective work is not uninteresting."