Subject: Re: Toners and Leica Glow
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 97 04:38:03 -0700

Duane Birkey wrote:

>Uranium toner???????  Never heard of such a toner.  How would describe
>it's effect and color on the print and where can you buy it?   I'm not
>sure I want to anyhow, I use a  selenium for increasing D-max without
>significant color changes .
>
>(I can't resist this one)  Is this how you achieve the Leica "glow"
>with your Contax TVS?
>
>Still chuckling,

Jim Brick continued:

>I think you get photographer "glow" with uranium toner. He may have meant
>"unobtanium", the rarest of rare metal toners.

Well, it is OK to ask if you don't know, but chuckling and using irony when
you have no idea about what you are talking about, is a sign of weakness.

The "Uranium" toner exists. It consists of what we call in French "Nitrat
d'uranil", which is a natural, low radioactive substance. Darkroom
alchemists, like myself, use it to obtain what we in French call "virage a
l'urane", a warm, light brown tone, similar to brick. Yes, Jim Brick!

Previously it was delivered in ordinary plastic containers, now there is a
lot of security measures about storage and use of this product (it comes in
steel containers and so on).

The radioactivity is far below the legal standards of course, at the level
of "natural" radioactivity. Anyway, the uranic toner (better translation?)
gives a beautiful aspect.

I am getting a bit tired of this talking about "glow", as something
exclusively reserved for Leica cameras. I have seen how ridiculous this
superstition may be. I have seen images made by simple, cheap non-Leica
cameras being presented to "juries" of fundamentalist Leica users. They
always went into the trap, pointing out the "beautiful Leica glow". It was
simple cameras as Minox, Olympus, Lubitel 6x6 (!) and others...

Chuckling over Contax T2/TVS is not very wise. You should remember that
these cameras have excellent Carl Zeiss Sonnar lenses, designed by Zeiss
Oberkochen and made from Schott optical glass.

I have been using a lot of different cameras in my life, both M-Leicas,
Contax Ts, Zeiss Ikons, Voigtlanders, Rolleis, Nikons, Hasselblads, Linhofs
etc. Believe me, I have found the "glow" in all these cameras. MF and LF
cameras have much of it, of course. I have heard Leica users in LF
exhibitions talking about that great "Leica glow". Leica is very good, but
it might leave you blind...

The "glow" has always been important for me. I am mainly looking for what J.
Tlumak, in the excellent revue "Rfinder", calls "the extra dimensional
factor", the impression of life in an image. Some Leica lenses and the
Rolleiflexes gave me that, and the Sonnar lenses also give me this
impression of roundness and plasticity. More, or less, depending upon the
light, of course. Some Nikkor lenses give me this, too, and I have seen
images made with other rangefinder cameras such as the Contax, Zorki, Nikon
and Canon rangefinders, (including screwmount Leicas).

My Olympus mju-2 has the "glow" as well...with a 2.8/35mm lens, 2-zone light
metering, switchable to spot metering, AE range from EV 1.0 to EV 17 (F2.8
at 4 sec. - F11 at 1/1000sec), weatherproof, normal price in France about
$160-170. It is my 'always-in-the-pocket-camera', and it is so small that I
sometimes have to look after if I still have it!

My point is not that Leica make bad cameras and lenses! But I think that
Leica products are overpriced and overestimated. And I know that you may
obtain similar, sometimes better results with other cameras, much cheaper,
as solid as, or more solid than the Leicas.

Photography is more than a camera and a lens. First you need brain glow,
heart glow and glow in the eyes. At the end comes the alchemy, where the
circle once again joins the brain, the heart and the eyes. A good image is
something very complex and mysterious. It has a universal message and is
capable of making people anywhere laugh, cry, smile, or revolt.

Oddmund