Subject: Re: M6 Dilemma
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:41:24 -0800

Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:

> Recently there have been some messages on the LUG list comparing
> Leicas and Nikons.
> Sure, a camera is just a tool.  And a house is just a building.

> But I think it's also a mistake to ignore the very real differences
> between objects created by different groups of people with different
> sensibilities and purposes.

Patrick,

I race sailboats (leaving Friday on the Newport to Encinada, Mexico 50th
anniversary race).  Comparitively, discussion about cameras are gentle
breezes.  You should hear the storms of argument about sails!!!  Not
only the basic design, but how we are pulling and tugging on the strings
to make it work.  And occasionally we get the sails to "glow," and it is
wonderful.

Interestingly, despite the choices of course, seas, winds, steering,
sail choice and set being so  complex, most of the races are still very
close.

I can tell you we often race against Dennis Conner, and I don't care
what he is sailing, how big or small, he is just awesome.

Of course, even Dennis Conner couldn't compete with the brilliant boat
(and I hear they didn't really use their "fast" one) from New Zealand
with an equally brilliant skipper.

 Likewise a great photographer with a great camera. . . . .

Donal Philby
San Diego