Subject: Re: Reflectors
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:47:10 -0800

FSilberman@aol.com wrote:

> Donald:
> I know what you mean about fill flash, but reflectors come in very handy +
> you can see what you're getting without resorting to polaroids. (It does help
> of course to have someone around to hold it & adjust it properly!)
> Frederic

You'd be surprised at how many reflectors I own: 4 lightform panels, 2
California Sunbounce (wonderful in wind; lightweight and focusable);
several folding discs.  Mostly silver, white and one gold.  Plus large
black panels for eliminating reflections in computer screens.

For the fill flash with the "smart" flashes I don't bother with
polaroids, just trust the meters and my experience--and bracket if
possible or do snip tests.

You shoot people in sun, they squint.  Backlight them and use reflector,
they squint.  Only fill flash really works.  Putting them in a band of
shade (like from a tree trunk) and then filling to match the sunlit
background also seems to work for quick and dirty portrait jobs.  Plus,
as you said, you don't usually need an assistant to hold it.

Donal Philby
San Diego