Subject: Re: Mercury batteries
From: Mike Gardner <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:31:01 -0700

Ben Holmes wrote:
                               .... I hear people bitching about the
> '625 being withdrawn from production and I just cringe. Let us not forget
> what a horror mercury poisoning is. Sorry you can't use your M5's and your
> old Luna Pro's, but I'd like to eat food grown in soil that isn't toxic from
> Hg batteries.
>
> I now return control of your TV set.
>
> ,/8^|
> Regards,
>
> Ben W. Holmes

OK, this a peaceful question.  I'm not trying to start a disagreement!
I can understand how mercury pollution from ore extraction or other
large scale industrial processes can cause wide-spread harm if not
properly contained or reclaimed and allowed to invade the environment.
For the life of me, I can't understand how little tiny mercury
batteries, given the relatively limited use and distibution, even if
wantonly thrown
into a landfill, could pose much of a threat.  And to poison you via
your vegetable intake, I would think you would have to smash the battery
open and plant with your vegetable seeds.  By all means enlighten me if
there's something here I'm overlooking.
Regards,
Mike Gardner