Subject: Batteryless Advantages
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:02:04 -0400

The issue of batteryless cameras is an indivudual choice, but I would
never go on a field trip without at least one batteryless camera.  As
Oddmund points out, you can buy batteries almost anywhere in the world
(at least AAs), but will they be in your pocket when you need then.

A couple of years ago I was shooting in Arches National Park in Utah
with a Nikon F4.  I'd hiked a great distance in the dark before sunrise
to be at the right place at the right time to catch the first rays of
sunlight illuminating some redrock hills along with alpenglow.  After
shooting a bit, using the built in illuminator, motor winder and time
exposures, as the magic moment arrived I found the batteries about to
die.

Where are the fresh batteries?  In the car.  Where's the car?  A looong
hike from where I was.  Fortunatly the F4's batteries don't die
instantaniously and I salvaged the shoot, but JUST.

I now use a Contax RTSIII system, which is even harder on batteries that
the F4 was, but I have a fully mechanical S2 body as a backup.  Also the
M6 is of course in the same catagory.

Cold weather is another issue.  I've had so many experiences working in
cold Canadian climes where battery cameras have let me down, so that
again, I always take one that is strictly mechanical along as well.

Michael H. Reichmann
E-mail:	michael.reichmann@alphanet.net