Subject: Re: OLYMPUS MJU II (in Europe)
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:59:07

I have heard the mju-2 also is available in the U.S. now. It is called
Olympus Stylus Epic. I got one of them last Christmas, and so far I am very
pleased. I have made 24x30 prints with excellent results, details, contrast
and plasticity.

It is weatherproof, and has a very good 35mm lens f/2.8 (4 elements in 4
groups). It has 2-zone light metering, switchable to spot metering. It
covers the whole exposure range, AE from EV 1.0 to EV 17 (F2.8 at 4 sec. -
F11 at 1/1000sec). Normal price in France is about $160-170. It is my
"always-in-the-pocket-camera" and it is so small that I sometimes have to
look after if I still have it! A nice backup camera.

I have compared it to my Contax T2 and TVS. It is a bit less contrasted
(using Tri-X), but for the rest quite similar, up to 24x30 cm. The flash is
OK. You just have to take care while making closeup portraits. I cover the
flash with Magic Tape to soften the light in that case. The lack of manual
overrides might be a drawback for some, but for the price you cannot ask
for  everything. You get a lot already!

Oddmund  <garvik@i-t.fr>