Subject: An unusual Summicron, et.al.
From: "Stephen L. Alred" <71072.3453@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 28 Apr 97 21:18:34 EDT

Greetings from a long time digest-lurker.  I recently spent a weekend in New
York City and thought I would report on my pilgrimage to Tamarkin & company and
the adjoining Leica Gallery.

At Tarmarkins I was pleasantly surprised to be waited on by Jim Lager, whom I
actually was able to surprise with the following lens:

   35mm Summicron, S/N 2662691
	- on the front of the lens it reads "Leitz Canada"
	- on the barrel of the lens it reads "Lens made in Germany" [sic!]

Mr. Lager went on at length over the novelty of this contradictory engraving --
has anyone else out there seen something similar?  I bought the lens in a
shrink-wrapped box from Jim Kuehl about 10 years ago, so I *believe* that it is
in its original condition.  Any theories?

Second, the visit to the Leica Gallery convinced me that I am going to set aside
money to buy photographs.  There were some wonderful images there selling from
$350 to the stratosphere; no, there were no HCB at the low end, but there were
photographs I would like to hang in my house.  How many folks out there own
other peoples' work?

Finally, by way of introduction, I use the following "kit"
    M6 with 35mm f/2 and 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit ('70's vintages)
    Do personal B&W work in the hall bath with a 1972
      Omega B-22 with a Zone VI cold light and a
      50mm f/4El-Nikkor using Brilliant graded paper  [yes, a Fred Picker fan]

Regards to all,

Steve Alred
Upper Marlboro, MD