Subject: German vs. Japanese glass
From: John Van Stelten <focalpt@ecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 08:37:22 -0700

Regarding the glass used by either the German or Japanese manufactures.
Erwin Puts has given us some of the technical reasons for the difference in the
glass and the cost.

The bottom line however, is that Leica and Zeiss are run by people who are
interested in their lenses meeting certain criteria.  The Japanese companys
are run by marketing people who build their lenses to a market.  They do not
choose to spend alot more of their money, for a little better color contrast.  The
Japanese have all the technical know how at their disposal, but business
decisions determine the lens that is produced.

I suppose you could say that from a business standpoint, the Japanese
companys are correct in their approach,  because they are larger  and more
profitable then their German counterparts.  I however, am glad that Zeiss &
Leica have taken the path they have.

John Van Stelten
Focal Point Inc.