Subject: Alpa help
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 21:25:36 -0700

At 11:41 PM 4/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I got a mod 6 last week and I finally figured it out by just taking the lens
>off to understand it better.  When the arrow is in one position the
>aperature will stay open until the shutter is depressed, this will make it
>easier to see; more light.  If you dont like that function for whatever
>reason ( noise...most likely, you can switch it off.  Also, if the lens is
>at the aperature that you plan to take the shot at, you will see the depth
>of field accuratley.  So in short, let the aperature move around if the
>light is dim, but if you want to see the depth of field, swith the arrow so
>that the aperature remains still. Hope this helps.  I think I am right, but
>I am new with this camera too, so check around.  Hal

David & Hal,

I answered the arrow/lens/knob question earlier. Just as a point of info, I
used Alpa cameras in my work for many many years. I visited the factory in
Switzerland several times and was able to purchase everything I needed
while there (bypassing Karl Heitz.) I became friends with the owner, Samuel
Bourgeois. This was a very enjoyable period in my photographic life. I have
sold most of my Alpa equipment (that a story in itself,) except for the 10d
& 50mm Switar that was made for me while visiting the factory. I can
probably help you with most Alpa questions. If you think the list isn't
interested in this stuff, please e-mail me directly.

Jim