Subject: Re: Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH quality
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 16:24:54 -0700

At 06:17 PM 5/4/97 +0100, you wrote:
>I have been using my new Leica M6 and Summilux-M 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH for over
>six weeks now with a variety of films (Color photo: mostly Fuji Reala 100
>new, but also Kodak Ektar 25, Ektar 200, Agfa Optima 400; slides: Fuji
>Sensia 100).
>
>On the risk of hurting some other people's feelings, I must confess that
>the results of this lens do not appear to be significantly different from
>my Nikon SLR equipment (Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8, Micro-Nikkor 55 mm f/2.8,
>Zoom-Nikkor 28-50 mm f/3.5), and this with a variety of subjects (travel
>pictures, available-light, night).
>
>My subjective feeling is that color rendering may be a bit better, but as
>far as sharpness and overall quality is concerned I can see no noticeable
>difference. BTW: my slide projector is a Leica P150 with Colorplan-P2 90mm
>f/2.5 CF. I am normally printing color photos on 10 x 15 cm, but in order
>to compare I let enlarge several pictures on 20 x 30 cm.

Pascal,

You are comparing apples with oranges. First, just what did you expect to
be different in your comparison? Many Nikon lenses will give you brilliant
color, outstanding contrast, and razor sharp detail. Many Leica lenses will
give you brilliant color, outstanding contrast, and razor sharp detail.
Just exactly what was it that you thought should be different? We all have
learned that Bokeh is different comparing Japanese and German lenses. Some
of the older, ordinary, Leica lenses have outstanding Bokeh. This comes
back to "just what is it that you are looking for?" The resolving power of
most good lenses is greater than the eye can detect without the aid of a
microscope AND process film. I DO NOT THINK IT IS POSSIBLE to detect any
possible TECHNICAL difference that there MIGHT be between the Nikkor and
Leica lenses on color print emulsions. Or even current E6 films. The
possible resolution of both exceeds the color coupler globule size and
therefore is not easily detectible.

The main difference, as I see it, is you are comparing an outstanding SLR
against an outstanding RF. It is truly apples and oranges. They operate
differently, handle differently, and therefore, the image will be
different, BUT NOT IN THE WAY THAT YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR. It's how you, as
a photographer, approach your subjects, is the camera an extension of your
mind, do you grope for the controls or is it smooth as silk. Different
cameras, different mind set, the feeling, the mood, the presence. These are
the things that will be different. They will show-up in your images. Not
resolution, contrast, and color balance.

Jim