Subject: Cruising for snaps in Panauti
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 12:03:44 +0545 (+0545)

Greetings all,

        The rains have finally let up in the Kathmandu Valley so it was a
great day to get out.  I spent all of the morning in a small Newari village
of Panouti, which is build at the confluence of two rivers and is surrounded
by mountains.  This used to be a major trading town in it's day but now it
is away from the major roads and it it peaceful and quiet.  Some of the
temples here  were founded as early as the 11th and 12th century.

        To keep this in line with Leica - I was using my new M6!  For a
change I was also shooting Velvia as the shots are for a brochure for the
Dhulikhel Municipality.  It has taken some time but I am starting to trust
the meter in the M6 and did not resort to my best guess or Pentax spot meter
quite as often.  I am finding that usually the three readings agree as long
as I point the M6 meter at the right thing.  I have been pleased with the
results I have been getting so far other than some problems with the
processing and mounting.  It is very difficult, if not impossible, to find a
lab here that will give me good consistent results with E6.  They have the
equipment but not the care and attention needed.  Perhaps the purchase of a
Jobo is in order.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal