Subject: Re: M6 metering
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 21:26:26 +0545 (+0545)

At 08:45 AM 97-05-01 -0700, you wrote:

>I would very much like to know how you use meters of this sort
>(centerweighted) for precise exposure. I too have a Pentax meter, and I am
>very fond of it, because using it, I can accurately determine the contrast
>range of the scene, and manipulate my exposure accordingly, with a minimum
>of bracketing (a nice word for "guessing")
>
>So far, the best I've been able to do with a centerweighted or
>averaging-type meter is to know it's sensitivity pattern fairly well, and
>try to meter off a scene of average brightness (a slice of sky, grass,
>etc), calculating in my head that a late-afternoon sky might be +4 stops in
>brightness above sunlit grass, and open shade, maybe -1 stop below that.
>And of course, the relationships change when filtration is used!
>
>Yes, the thought has occurred to me that I may not be using the Leica in
>the most appropriate manner, and that, if I'm going to be putting the thing
>on a tripod, and fussing with Zone System calculations, that maybe the
>compactness and ease of handling are going to waste. Thoughts on the
>appropriateness of using a small camera like a big one are welcomed.
>
>Jeff

Jeff,

        I honestly can't remember the last time I had my Leica on a tripod
because if I have time to set up a tripod I always use my 4x5.  If the Leica
was my only camera there would still be times that I would use a tripod.
        Like you, I prefer the Pentax spot meter and trust it more than any
in-camera meter that I have come across so far.  If I don't have time to
check the exposure I will use my best guess and if the situation allows, I
will meter later and shoot again.  When using the M6 meter I always try to
find some zone V stuff to meter off of or meter off of my hand as a zone VI
reading.  Even when using meters I find that there is still a bit of gut
feeling involved and I seem to know when it just feels right.  I find meters
most useful early in the morning or late in the evening as the rest of the
day the light is easy to read.  It also helps to limit the types of film you
use and really get to know how to use them.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal