Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 14:06:38

At 18:13 30/04/1997 -0700, Roger B. wrote:

<snipped>

>Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ted, for your bang on comments on=20
>how the free enterprise system works with respect to photography.

Fine, Roger, I see you are up again, but this doesn't show anything. Your
comments is what we in French call: 'Tir=E9 par les cheveux'...

>Some years ago I located a magnum of Ch. Mouton Rothschild, 1929.=20
>With a lovely poached salmon and rack of lamb, we enjoyed this bottle=20
>with 11 other couples. It was showcased against 11 other bottles of=20
>very highly regarded clarets. The Mouton and only the Mouton,=20
>however, when uncorked, filled the room with its exquisite bouquet.=20

Did you open the bottle *while* you were at table? Or were you sitting
there for days, smelling the exquisite bouquet, waiting for the bottle to
be 'ready'...?=20

>It *did not* require "time in type" to appreciate this truly great=20
>bottle. It's the lesser bottles that require knowledge and experience=20
>to make an informed decision as to which are worth cellaring. This=20
>knowledge and experience is called teaching in other fields.=20
>Necessary, for the aspirants to greatness, but not for the great!

Let us not forget that even the great once was an aspirant. Even the
Chateau Mouton Rotschild was in a barrel, shivering and young, with an
uncertain future.

>Ok, ok, the evening was captured by very ordinary record shots from=20
>an M3! (Whew, almost forgot what list I was on.)=20

Leica and wine go well together, even if a weatherproof AF is a better
choice for sharp pictures in "wet" circumstances... ;#)

Oddmund

Oddmund Garvik            'Words are all we have'=20
Chinon, France		          Samuel Beckett
email to <garvik@i-t.fr>