Subject: High-end compact cameras
From: cyberdog@unicall.be
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 22:25:37 +0100

At 08:57 -0700 01-05-1997, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>So I'd be interested to hear what they had to say about the Rollei 35
>Classic as well. :)
>
>Godfrey
>
>>At 22:09 -0400 29-04-1997, JayPax@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>>Pascal:
>>>
>>>Have you seen any test results comparing the Nikon 35Ti and the Leica
>>>Minilux?  I thought there was one on the WWW somewhere, but I do not know
>>>where it is.  Can anyone help?
>>>
>>>JayPax@aol.com
>>
>>Both cameras, together with Contax T2, Minolta TC-1, Konica Hexar and
>>Rollei 35 Classic (amongst others) figure in the UK magazine "Buying
>>cameras" (february 1997).
>>
>>Here are the results:
>>
>>LEICA MINILUX
>>Leica's bid for the top-end of the compact market. A good rival for the
>>likes of Rollei, Minolta and Nikon with its mix of auto and manual feature=
s.
>>Performance: 7 out of 10 (Leica Summarit lens delivers sharpness from the
>>top drawer)
>>Features: 8 out of 10 (Aperture-priority is on offer as part of a well
>>thought-out-spec)
>>Handling: 7 out of 10 (Smooth to operate, but it's quite a boxy camera)
>>Our verdict: 7 out of 10 (+ for build quality, lens sharpness; - for
>>starting to get very pricey)
>>
>>NIKON 35 TI
>>A superbly made camera that handles well and gives razor-sharp results.
>>Uses Nikon's 3D matrix metering for perfect exposures. An absolute classic=
=2E
>>Performance: 8 out of 10 (Some slide shots show overexposure. Print film i=
>>fine)
>>Features: 8 out of 10 (Plenty of ways to manually override the auto
>>functions)
>>Handling: 8 out of 10 (elegant analogue display takes some getting used to=
)
>>Our verdict: 8 out of 10 (+ for metering, lens sharpness; - for can be
>>fiddly to use)
>>
>>CONTAX T2
>>Features a beautifully crafted body with a titanium finish for added
>>durability, plus a pin-sharp lens and accurate metering. Cheap it ain't,
>>but we can't knock the quality.
>>Performance: 9 out of 10 (A great camera for slide users - results are wel=
>>saturated)
>>Features: 6 out of 10 (the flash modes are distinctly unimpressive - only
>>two!)
>>Handling: 9 out of 10 (handles like a dream)
>>Our verdict: 8 out of 10 (+ for first rate image sharpness; - for
>>underspecified flash)
>>
>>Hope this helps.

So to keep you informed, here are some other results from Buying Cameras:

ROLLEI 35 CLASSIC (NON-AUTOFOCUS)
This camera oozes quality craftmanship throughout, making it a joy to use.
Daft price, considering you don't even get a flash with it!
Performance: 9 out of 10 (The Sonnar lens is bitingly sharp)
=46eatures: 5 out of 10 (Spec is simple compared to rivals)
Handling: 7 out of 10 (Real old-fashioned handling. Great!)
Our verdict: 7 out of 10 (+ for "one for the collectors"; - for insanely
expensive)

MINOLTA TC-1
A tiny camera - almost too small - with bags of information shown in the
viewfinder. Fantastic metering system that produces brilliant exposures.
Performance: 9 out of 10 (There's no sign of any distortion from the
quality lens)
=46eatures: 9 out of 10 (comprehensive range of features on offer)
Handling: 7 out of 10 (fingers can occasionally stray across the lens)
Our verdict: 8 out of 10 (+ for how did they make it so small?; - =A31200?
Did you say =A31200!!?)

CONTAX TV-S
This is a Contax T2 with a zoom lens, making it the costliest zoom compact.
The AF is responsive and the flash is versatile, but handling could be
better.
Performance: 9 out of 10 (extremely accurate focusing - we'd trust it in
any situation)
=46eatures: 9 out of 10 (excellent shutter speed range for low-light photogr=
aphy)
Handling: 6 out of 10 (lens is a manual zoom and viewfinder is razor sharp,
but dull)
Our verdict: 8 out of 10 (+ for exposures as good as an SLR camera; - for
silly money)

KONICA HEXAR
This quality Konica handles more like a rangefinder camera, with large
controls that should make SLR users feel at home. Excellent metering system.
Performance: 9 out of 10 (seven-element lens is a brilliant performer)
=46eatures: 7 out of 10 (manual focusing in addition to the accurate active
AF system)
Handling: 8 out of 10 (large and quite heavy, with lots of buttons and dials=
)
Our verdict: 8 out of 10 (+ for lens, features; - for too bulky to be truly
compact)

RICOH GR1
Update of the outstanding R1 camera - this one sports a 28 mm lens and
aperture-priority. Has a magnesium alloy die-cast body and a seven-blade
shutter.
Performance: 8 out of 10 (has enough features to outclass even the R1)
=46eatures: 8 out of 10 (fully featured for the discerning photographer)
Handling: 8 out of 10 (excellent full-information viewfinder - with shutter
speeds!)
Our verdict: 8 out of 10 (+ for set to join the top-flight; - for price
could be a drawback)

Greetings,
Pascal
Belgium

This message was created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook