Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 01 May 97 19:50:30 EDT

Oddman wrote:

<<Living how you *want*, doing what you *want*, buying what you *want*, going
where you *want*, everything you *want* and 'having fun', is not really a life,
is it? >>>>

But Oddman you are missing the point!

For me to do all the above, I must and have contributed to the well being of
many people in this world and in my country because I have worked extremely hard
producing books, and many many photo assignments that have paid me nicely.  In
doing this, I have had to pay considerable income taxes, corporate & personal!
This in turn has allowed my government to give this money to the benefit of our
health programs in this country and allowed the government money to contribute
to many other people around the world.

I have always made considerable contributions to many international
organizations dedicated to the well being of children and sick folks around the
world. (been there and seen them!) This is well above what my taxes are, so I
have not turned my back on humanity to "accomodate my wants!"  And I attempt to
do what I can for the benefit of my 4 children and 10 grand children, some times
they suffer because I have given to some other more needy families!

<<<<<I don't want to wake up one day with a hang over, looking back on my life
as more or less wasted time.  Living how you *want*,>>>>>>

I can assure you I am not going to wake up any morning in the future to a hang
over, real or psychological, because I failed to contribute to a better world,
because I had and did all the things, _"I want"_ !.

Man I think you are missing something here with your convoluted philosophy of
life!

<<<everything you *want* and 'having fun', is not really a life, is it?>>

You mean to tell me that having everything you want and enjoying life, "having
fun" if you like, and still contributing to your fellow man through your
efforts, isn't a life?

No my far away friend, you are the one who needs to "get a life!!" And certainly
a grip on the real realities of life and the world!

If one is astute and caring while earning money to make their own lives and that
of their families comfortable, while making reasonable contributions in work &
money to assist others to a better life wherever that maybe, then my life has
great and rewarding meaning. In fact mine is a very meaningful life, as I know I
have made the effort to help others with my work and my earned money, instead of
whining about other folks having something you do not have or may not have.

It is very easy for you to whine, flail and berate those that have and do "their
wants" through personal efforts, than it is to get out and put your money and
real efforts where your whine is!

If you wish to live a quiet in the country simple life style so be it. But don't
come on with a twisted idea of what the rest of us do with our lives because we
work our butts off contributing real dollars for the benefit of our fellow man
kind,  while we also enjoy all our wants!

Both can be equally satisfied!

ted
Victoria, Canada
http:/www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant