Subject: Re: Oddmund's maelstrom
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 4 May 97 01:11:56 -0700

On Fri, May 2, 1997 9:34 AM, uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
<mailto:uskanb2n@ibmmail.com> wrote:
>Oddmund wrote:
>> am sorry to say that in many of our 'civilized' countries, we are far
>>into that maelstrom of cynicism, egoism and individual self-satisfaction.
>>the system teaches us to be like that.
>>
>>Fortunately there are resistance...
>
>The message is: Consume! Spend all you earn and more! Consume! Consume!
>Be good little wage slaves. Don't make waves, but don't you dare be happy
>either. If you were happy, you might not buy as many of our advertisers'
>products. You are a better consumer when you are unhappy. Then we can
>tell you our products will make you happy...

Relevant web site: http://www.adbusters.org
Relevant reading: Ecotopia (Callenbach), Geography of Nowhere (Kunsler),
Buckyworks (Baldwin)
Bogus stuff: Sport-utility vehicles, leaf blowers, Wired (magazine),
suburbia.

How I think the Leica fits into all of this:

Con: It's really, really expensive compared to the competition.
Pro: If you break it, you *will* get it fixed. When totally obsolete, it
can be called "collectable". Either way, no one's landfilling them. Pretty
good as a camera, too.

Just my opinions
Jeff