Subject: Re: Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH quality
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 4 May 97 23:00:41 -0700

On Sun, May 4, 1997 10:17 AM, cyberdog@unicall.be
<mailto:cyberdog@unicall.be> wrote:
>Of course, the Summilux has the advantage of its big aperture on f/1.4,
>which makes it possible to shoot in low-light conditions (such as in
>churches). But apart from this, I feel a bit disappointed over the general
>quality of the Summilux. Having carefully read and studied all kinds of
>reviews and opinions over the web, I had choosen the Leica combination
>because of its said top quality - at a hefty price! This Summilux is
>considered to be one of Leica's best lenses. For that money one could have
>had the latest Nikon F5 and a set of top-quality Nikkor lenses.

Pardon me if I get a little philosophical :-)

It sounds to me as if you were able to get the right answers--to the wrong
questions!

For me, the main reason for purchasing a Leica M is because it's about the
smallest interchangeable-lens camera currently being offered, and is of
good overall quality, but limited in capabilities, and not cutting-edge as
far as convienence in operation goes.

The Nikon F5 is a most impressive, convenient, versatile, camera, but also
much larger and more conspicuous. Much speedier than the M, but is the
speed relevant to you?

And if maximum quality is desired, and neither speed of operation or
portability are of utmost concern, what the heck are we doing looking at
35mm cameras!

Just a thought
Jeff

PS: It's been my experience that it's really a bad idea to ask for the best
of anything without a lot of qualifications.