Subject: Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH quality
From: cyberdog@unicall.be
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 18:17:51 +0100

I have been using my new Leica M6 and Summilux-M 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH for over
six weeks now with a variety of films (Color photo: mostly Fuji Reala 100
new, but also Kodak Ektar 25, Ektar 200, Agfa Optima 400; slides: Fuji
Sensia 100).

On the risk of hurting some other people's feelings, I must confess that
the results of this lens do not appear to be significantly different from
my Nikon SLR equipment (Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8, Micro-Nikkor 55 mm f/2.8,
Zoom-Nikkor 28-50 mm f/3.5), and this with a variety of subjects (travel
pictures, available-light, night).

My subjective feeling is that color rendering may be a bit better, but as
far as sharpness and overall quality is concerned I can see no noticeable
difference. BTW: my slide projector is a Leica P150 with Colorplan-P2 90mm
f/2.5 CF. I am normally printing color photos on 10 x 15 cm, but in order
to compare I let enlarge several pictures on 20 x 30 cm.

Of course, the Summilux has the advantage of its big aperture on f/1.4,
which makes it possible to shoot in low-light conditions (such as in
churches). But apart from this, I feel a bit disappointed over the general
quality of the Summilux. Having carefully read and studied all kinds of
reviews and opinions over the web, I had choosen the Leica combination
because of its said top quality - at a hefty price! This Summilux is
considered to be one of Leica's best lenses. For that money one could have
had the latest Nikon F5 and a set of top-quality Nikkor lenses.

When I am using my Nikon FM with motordrive, I have the advantage of the
added stability to the camera (because of the excellent full handgrip that
comes with the motordrive). There is no such thing on the M6 (except for
the new -but maybe too small to be really comfortable- handgrip that came
out in January). Also the shutter release works better on the FM than on
the M6: a much harder and longer push is needed to press on the button on
the M6, which may cause some slight movement of the camera, and so harm the
sharpness of the picture.

Or am I simply missing a point? Maybe it's all in the mind and one MUST
simply think that the Summilux is better because  it is -after all- a Leica
for which one has paid an arm and a leg?

It is not my intention to start a big debate over a comparison Leica-Nikon,
but who has some opinion and -preferably- experience with the Summilux-M 35
mm f/1.4 ASPH?

Pascal
Belgium

This message was created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook