Subject: Re: SL lens suggestions
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 18:43:20 -0700

At 08:27 PM 5/7/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi -

>I just bought a beautiful, thoroughly overhauled, completely upgraded
(the

>four "defects" were replaced) 1969 Leicaflex SL.  I went this route to

>expand my use of Leica optics beyond 90, at the long end, and below 28
at

>the wide end.  I really do not enjoy using a 135 on my Ms.  Anyway,
I'm

>trying to figure out which of the wide angle lenses will work.  I have
tried

>to reconcile the info in "Leica Lens Practice" by Dennis Laney with
the

>lenses mentioned in the article by Dick Gilcreast in "Viewfinder"
28-2.

>Specifically: is there any such thing as a 19/2.8 Emarit-R?  If so, it's
not

>mentioned by Laney but is advertised used by an advertiser in
"Shutterbug."

>If it's for real, will it work?  Will any 21 other than the 4.0 work.
Which

>of all of the 21s and 19s are the best performers?

>Thanks for any help.  Your comments are always helpful.

>Regards,

>Curt

Curt,

The 19mm f2.8 Elmarit-R (old style for sure) and the 21mm f4.0 Super
Angulon will both work on the SL. There is no other 21mm R lens that I
know of. I don't know if the <bold>new</bold> 19mm R lens will work or
not. Also... it does NOT have any filter threads for front mounted
filters. It has some built-in filters (ND, Yellow, Orange, Green, &
Blue.) The old style 19mm uses 82mm external filters. B+W EW filters must
be used to prevent corner cutoff. The 21mm has a reputation for being an
outstanding lens. I owned a 19mm (old) and liked it very much. I sold it
as I found a 15mm at a very good price.

Jim

Jim