Subject: Re: Leica M6 with Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH
From: cyberdog@unicall.be
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 19:16:12 +0200

Hello folks:

Thanks to all who have written comments on my mail concerning the Leica M6
with Summilux-M 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH!
Many ideas were very useful to me, as they have helped me to better
understand the nature of the problem.
Here I will convey to you my thoughts on the matter, hoping not to offend
longstanding M-users! I will try to be as honest as possible :)

First, for the "blind test" I (and others) have carefully compared a lot of
pictures and slides taken with the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH (with Leica
M6 body) and those taken with a mix of my Nikkor lenses (with Nikon FM
body).
There is some (small) difference: the good Leica pictures appear to be
somewhat snappier and have "nicer color" than Nikon. But again, the
difference is quite small and sometimes maybe subjective. Major difference
can be spotted on large apertures, undoubtedly because of the ASPH element
in the Summilux.
The results of the blind test were reassuring!

Second, I have analized the general "state of unease" I feel myself to be
in, and I believe it has a lot to do with the handling of the M6 body, not
with the lens.
In contrast to what others say, I do not believe the body handles well in
my hands. It is really heavy, and you do not have a good grip on it (not in
the way that a Nikon FM with motordrive has). Its overall size is
practically that of an FM body (with the exception of the prisma). So far
for the argument of compactness. I also find it not so easy to manipulate
the lens (diafragma and focusing). The controls seem a bit too small for me
when compared to what I am used to.
As for focusing: the rangefinder is very precise for the 35 mm lens, and it
also gives good results in low-light (where it becomes more difficult with
a manual focus SLR). But, you can only focus in the small rectangle in the
middle of the viewfinder. I am wearing glasses, and have noticed that this
rectangle sometimes becomes so illuminated that I cannot see anything in it
anymore. Then you have to adjust your view a bit.
Other disadvantage for people wearing glasses: the 35mm is the bottom line
for them, if you want to see the whole image you have to look left first
and then light. The viewfinder does not give a complete overview. It would
be practically impossible to use a 28 mm!
Another thing: with the Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 ASPH you loose a lot of
viewfinder space in the lower right corner. And if you put on the lenshood,
which is the way I normally take pictures, you loose up to 1/5 of your
complete viewfinder! I can tell you it is sometimes very difficult to
compose a picture when you do not see what is going on in the lower right
part of the image. I have already had images with unwanted elements on them.
I also have the impression that, although I compose an image without
unwanted elements on them (such as an antenna), I see them on the final
picture! Sofar for exact composition of image. There must be some parallax.
The biggest issue is the light metering: this is spot, about 23 % of the
viewfinder image. But, because this changes with every lens (and the
viewfinder remains the same of course), you do not know where the spot
exactly is. I have already had a lot of overexposures, which I would not
have had with my FM's 60/40 metering.

Having jumped on the Leica-M since the end of March after 15 years of Nikon
SLR use, I am now seriously thinking about selling my Leica M combination,
with regret because of the nice lens. But was good is lens quality if you
are hampered by the body? Maybe for others this combination works well, but
for me it is not.

I will certainly never go back to the rangefinder concept: simply too many
limitations.
The big problem is this: the Leica M falls between two chairs:
- - if you want compactness: go for a high-end compact camera such as Nikon
35 Ti or Leica Minilux (will cost you about 1.000 USD), and you will have
all the goodies that come with them (excellent lens, flash, sometimes
matrix metering, manual override possibilities, built in silent motor).
- - if you want maximum possibilities and quality: go for a SLR system. My
choice would be Nikon F5 or Leica R8. I do not like Canon EOS although they
also give good results. I don't like the Nikon F90x either, too much
plastic. In the end, its all a question of subjective feeling: the camera
must become one with the photographer as has been written by someone on the
LUG list. You must immediately feel comfortable with the camera. This is
not the case for the M6 (for me!). I have tried out both Nikon F5 and Leica
R8 in a shop in Brussels, and am pleased with either of them. They have a
solid feeling. The choice is between AF or not. If I go for Nikon I could
use the FM as a second (mechanical) body. If I go for Leica R, I will sell
the Nikon SLR equipment.

The advantage the R8 has over the F5, are the classic controls (much like
Nikon FM) such as aperture setting on the lens and shutter speed with a
classic wheelbutton. You have to use two small turning wheels on the F5 to
do just that, on the front and on the back of the camera (you can set
aperture on the lens, but than you have no reading of the opening in the
viewfinder display!).

Again, thanks to all! Please feel free to comment :)

Pascal
Belgium

This message was created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook