Subject: Re: M6 with Summilux
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 18:36:14 -0700

cyberdog@unicall.be wrote:

> First, for the "blind test" I (and others) have carefully compared a lot of
> pictures and slides taken with the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH (with Leica
> M6 body) and those taken with a mix of my Nikkor lenses (with Nikon FM
> body).  > There is some (small) difference: the good Leica pictures appear to be
> somewhat snappier and have "nicer color" than Nikon. But again, the
> difference is quite small and sometimes maybe subjective.

you mention color, but not B/W.   In my experience, the difference in
color between Nikon and Leica M is a minor one, a matter of taste.  But
in B/W, the Leica takes MUCH more contrastier shots.  The difference is
pronounced and quite noticeable, assuming custom processing and
printing.   That alone is the reason why I keep my M system.

I sympathize with you on the M6.  It is not my favorite M body.
Specifically I don't like the cluttered view finder system, not be able
to see a 28 frame with glasses, no TTL flash.

Before you dump the M, you might want to consider the Minolta CLE.  Its
smaller than the M6, has a great VF/RF with the 28 easily visible
wearing glasses, has TTL flash, is faster operating with aperture
priority operation, and has a larger shutter speed dial.
Although the small CLE flash is very small, you can use the later and
larger flashes made for the X700--even connecting them!  Even though it
has only 28/40/90 framelines, its not hard to figure out where the 35
and 50 frame lines should be.  The CLE's biggest limitation is that it
has no metering when off the aperture priority mode.

I have not tried the 35/1.4 Aspheric on the CLE, so I am not sure if you
have a viewfinder problem with it.  I use the 35/2 Summicron on my CLE.

Stephen Gandy