Subject: Re: Leica R8 questions
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 12 May 97 01:01:57 EDT

PAscal wrote:

> Does anyone know the answer to these questions:
>
> 1) I noticed there is no viewfinder illumination button on the R8. As the
> viewfinder indications are with a green LCD, how can they be visible under
> dark circumstances or at night?
>
> 2) Exposure memory lock is apparently only possible with spot metering, not
> with center-weighted metering. You can only adjust exposure by using the
> exposure compensation handle (override function). Is this correct and, if
> so, a handicap in practical photography? I would find it easier to always
> use a memory lock instead of override.
>
> 3) How long do batteries last with this camera?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pascal

PAscal,

I've been hammering my R8 since before Christmas and th batteriers are still
cranking right along.  I don't believe anyone in the real world has had one in
their hands long enough t be able to answer your battery question.

But at the moment mine certainly have lots of power left.

The viewfinder information bar has excellant clarity and is quite clear at
night, as I used mine for several shoots during the winter months in blizzards
and after the storm was over during the night.

The memory lock is really only required on the spot meter readings, therefore
that is the reason it only functions there.

ted