Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #473
From: FSilberman@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 20:05:27 -0400 (EDT)

>From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
>Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 10:55:42 -0600 (MDT)
>Subject: Altered Reality (film/tech)
>
>Note that I have included in the subject an abbreviated LUG "rating"
>designation. This will allow those interested in reading a technical post to
>identify it as such. Were my post of a philisophical nature I would have
>labeled it as (phil/cerebral). That being said, with my tongue planted
>firmly in my cheek, I will continue.
>
>I've been playing with cross-processing of materials, and have a
>film/exposure combo that is producing some really interesting results. For
>those of you who don't know what he hell I'm talking about,
>cross-processing, or "cross-pross", is the developing of a film type (color
>trans or color neg) in a chemistry not designed for that film type. An
>example would be running Ektachrome in C-41 chemistry. The resulting images
>are very different from what you see through the VF, and are very hot
>amongst graphic designers. Basically, when you run neg films in positive
>chemistry you get a positive image. When positive films are run in negative
>chemistry you get a negative image. You want to overexpose negative films to
>build sufficient density in the resulting slides, and underexpose chromes to
>prevent a really dense negative.
>
>I've been shooting VPS, overexposed 1 1/2 stops, and run in E6 chemistry.
>The images show a very blue cast with some strange color shifts in flesh
>tones. Some of the hues that result defy description. It's certainly not for
>everyone, but has a beautiful look to it. I am seeing it more and more in
>high-end print ads for products such as Nike and Mercedes Benz. It is also
>common in fashion type ads.
>
>This is nothing new, however, little info exists as to the exposure of
>specific materials. If you've played with this, and have had some good
>results that you would share, I would be interested to hear from you.
>
>Oh, and I use a Leica.

Hi Ben:
I did some cross processing with Kodacolor last summer but it was not as hot
colored has I expected. Actually the resuts seemed eerily nostalgic looking
in color palette, not the hot vibrant techno colors I see in print ads all
the time.
I plan on doing some more cross proccesing tests this summer, maybe you can
fill us in on how you get them really hot. Someone I spoke to last year
mentioned she filtered as well with certain emultions. Do you?
Regards
Frederic

Oh yes I too use M6's & one orphan M2