Subject: Re: Hollywood & Photography
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 18 May 97 11:24:00 EDT

Fred Ward wrote:

<<So whats wrong with a Rollei TLR is a 50s commercial? I was a press
photographer in the late 50s (Miami Daily News), and Rollei TLRs
(Rolleiflex and Rolleicords) weres what we used. It was considered a
revolutionary development at the time (since the backward papers and
staffs around the country were still using 4x5 Speed Graphics and
Graphex cameras). >>>>>>

G'day Fred,

First question? You the same Fred Ward who did "Portrait of a President?"  If
you are it was a triggering factor for a book that I was assigned to do,
"Portrait of a Prime Minister". Unfortunately mine was killed before we
finished, but I was paid handsomely even though it never went to print.

As far as the above Rollie description & time (1950's) goes, you described my
shooting for a paper (Ottawa Citizen) and I was the guy with the Rollie and
35's.

Interesting enough the "old hand darkroom guy" Stan Hunt wouldn't touch either
size as his comment was, "real photographers use 4X5! Only amateurs use those
toys!"  and he meant Leica's et all. :)

How times have changed!:) Often wondered what he might have thought of digital
equipment.

When Elvis Presley came to Ottawa two of us covered it, me with a Rollie and the
other using a Speed Graphic. Sure proves it's truly a small world.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http//www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant