Subject: Polarizing Filters
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 07:39:42 +0200

>Or-simple both in practice and theory, get the Leitz produced swing-out
>polarizer (assuming there is one in your filter size) and the use becomes
>self-evident.

You get the bluest (correct english?) skies when the sun is at an angle of
90 degrees viz-=E0-viz the camera - subject axis (will probably also give a
nice, contrasty rendering of the subject). Be careful with polarizers on
wide-angle lenses (21 - 28mm) as their angle of view is so wide that your
skies will become a palette of blues from less- to highly saturated, often
quite ugly. The areas of the sky that are at your right become dark blue
(again, if the sun is at 90 degrees), becoming a less saturated blue as the
area of the sky approaches the camera - subject axis.

Make also sure that the polarizer is 100% neutral grey (many polarizers add
a dirty dark green hue). I like polarizers at times to increase the contrast
of Kodachrome images of landscapes. Works quite well.

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
E-mail: captyng@vtx.ch
Fax: +41 (22) 700 39 28