Subject: Re: Riefenstahl not again!?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (by way of orath@astral.magic.ca (Otto Rath))
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:21:02 -0400

marc j small wrote:

Only the Fully Illuminated are cleared for the story of MS Monroe and Heinz
Kuppenbender and the donkey.  Speak to me of the Rising Hodge and of
Jubelum and I may fill you in on what actually happened in Munich on 27th
June 1958.  It is not for worldly ears.

The political topic DID touch me.  I am of the heartfelt opinion that
worldly success tempts us all and that the capers of such peripheral
characters as Speer or Riefenstahl or Von Karajan are excusable however
foul the regime they worked for.  Of course, as a pure anarchist I find
little moral distinction between any variant of Hegelian thought, be it our
own system or the Canadian or a pure Marxist regime.  Once one has conceded
to the State the power to tax or to imprison or to kill, then one has
conceded all.

Thus, I don't find Riefenstahl's work any more reprehensible on a grand
scheme than I do Carl Myrdan's.  Art should be judged as art.  We all have
our price -- if I, as an anarchist, can have served successfully as an Army
officer for twenty years, currently hold a license to practice law, and am
active both in my local community and in politics, who am I to judge
Riefenstahl or any other artist?

As to your Kilfitt lens, thanks for giving me the background on
Zorkendorffer -- I had not known of his Kilfitt link.

Marc

Hello Marc,

We are celebrating "Victoria Day" today,  as is only right for a former
part of the Empire, eh?
Finally got Riefenstahl's Memoirs in my public library and find it
fascinating reading, if not great literature. The connections and tensions
between Marlene-Lola and her Svengali (von?) Sternberg and
Leni at Berlin's UFA are interesting, particularly in view of Eisenstaedt's
photographic triumfeminat  of Anna Mae Wong, Dietrich and Riefenstahl.
I believe R. was  politically desinterested, as are many creative artists,
she is not just an apologist either.
BTW. have you heard of Peter Stackpoole's passing at 83 recently, last of
the Life glory aera ?

Thanx for the tip, Marc.  Auf Wiederhoeren  -otto-