Subject: Re: Finally, an Elvis thread
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 19 May 97 19:51:58 EDT

Duane Birkey wrote:

<<<I thought this day would never come to the LUG,  an Elvis thread.
Anyone else have stories of taking photos of Elvis either before (or
after) he died.>>>>>

Hi Duane,

I caught him in my darkroom the other night looking for my negs from his tour to
Ottawa, Canada about the time Fred Ward shot his stuff! :-)

Unfortunately I couldn't get at my M6 with the Noctilux to capture a new frame
or two before he faded away with his blue suede shoes! :-)

The one thing I remember more than anything else from my one and only encounter
with the Elvis was all the young teeny bopper girls screaming, crying, some
fainting and others just spaced right out in a daze.  Quite an amazing scene and
all this without any drugs involved, other than the "Kings'" writhing, gyrating
body. :-)

All my negs of this event are in the National Archives of Canada, Photo
Collection as part of the Ted Grant file of over forty years of my work from
assignments about the world.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the numbers of police to control the
squiggling girls from jumping on stage and ravaging Elvis.

The next day the local do gooder crowd were horrified that this degenerate was
allowed to coerce the minds of the young ladies of the city in such an immoral
manner and wondered why he was given permission to perform, corrupting the
populace of the Capital of Canada.

WOW have times changed! :-)  Now it's the politicians who corrupt the minds of
the tax payers and rob us blind. :-)

I too used a Rollie with 3.5 Tessar lens. Can't remember what film we were
using.  I had an old Leica, but rarely used it for regular work assignments, but
had it along this time to shoot some available light stuff.  More of playing
with it in those days.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant