Subject: Re: Incandesant light (technique)
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 17:20:18 -0500

>I'm becoming very sensitive to images lately, and have noticed an increase
>in the use of incandescent light in color photos, both in print ads and on
>television. It gives a very pleasent mood to skin when it's exposed
>correctly. Has anyone worked with this type of light in combination with
>chrome emulsions?
>
>I've always felt strongly against that look, but am "warming" up to it more
>and more. (get it - warming up)
>
>I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on how to diffuse it, expose for it,
>choose a film for it, etc.

Ben,

One thing you can do is get some CTO jels for your strobes.  These gels
drop the temp of your strobe in increments from 1/8 CTO to full CTO
(Tungsten)  This will allow you to control the light not only with the
strobes, but also control the amount of warmth you want to ad to the scene.
I also like mixing tungsten and daylight as it gives an inviting glow to
the photo.  (oh no I probably just started another thread on "Leica Glow")
I personally use Fuji Velvia and Kodak E100SW.  I like the E100 better for
many things as it is a slightly warmer film and doesn't turn as many people
red. IMHO.

Just experiment a little and I am sure you will find the look you like.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto