Subject: Making a living with your Leica
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 12:23:48 EDT

Ted Grant said:

>I always found that I had a much more successful response when I
>personally presented my work, rather than shipping or having a rep drag
>it around. Sometimes a rep is necessary and other photographers have
>had great success at the agent/rep thing than I have. The toughest
>thing is selling yourself, I hate it with a passion and each time I
>have to show some "happy snaps" it takes a bunch out of me and I'm beat
>afterwards.

Query: Victoria, BC does not seem like the sort of hot bed of publishing
that New York, Boston, Chicago &c. are. Do you travel to present your
work, or do your regular "on assignment" travels provide the opportunity
to check in with publishers &c. (Or am I way off base and Victoria _IS_
a major center of publishing in Canada... I'm just a shy hacker from
Kansas anyway...)

In any case, it seems like the knowing how you deal with it would apply
to Ben in Boulder, or me if I ever get the nerve...

                                           - John Lowther.