Subject: 50 mm M Series Choice
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:31:14 -0400

Our older son talked us out of our 50 mm Summicron several years ago, as my
wife and I were using our 35mm Summicron and  90 mm TeleElmarit-M to the
exclusion of the 50.  We now miss that 50 mm, and want to replace it.

We have the opportunity to select among three used 50mms, viz., a late
model black 50mm Summicron, #3502xxx; a chrome (Wetzlar) 50 mm Summicron,
#2228xxx; and a chrome (Wetzlar) 50 mm Summilux, #1927xxx.  All come with
lens shades and caps. All appear to be in  near-mint condition.
Unfortunately, these lenses are a part of an estate, and the executor is
loath to let us have them for any  testing.  We can afford *one* of these
at the asking/bargaining price.

We use an M-4 and an M-6, and primarily use our cameras to shoot
church/cathedral interiors,people, scenics, street scenes, and travel
"logs."  We use slide film exclusively, and use projection on a matte
screen (currently using Elite II and E 100S).

We're leaning toward the Summicrons, as the 1.4 Summilux appears to be a
bit heavy, and what few reports we have seen claim that the edge resolution
clearly falls off at 1.4, 2.0 and 2.8.  Is there much difference in
resolution and contrast between the earlier and later Summicrons,
especially at 2.0 and 2.8?  Any observations and suggestions will be
appreciated

TIA

George and Pat

George Berger