Subject: Re: in-camera metering
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 09:51:02 -0800

Fred Ward wrote:
>  Once you do this and if accurate
> exposures are important to you, those will be the last pictures you will
> ever make by taking reflected light readings. The only way to get
> professional exposure results day in and day out in every situation
> except photographing stained-glass windows or other light-emitting
> sources is to use a hand-held incident light meter.)

I've always wondered what the hoopla about in camera meters is all
about.  Except for on the fly program automatic flash fill for happy
snaps, I can't imagine trusting an incamera meter.  The results are so
spotty.  And the incident method is so predictable.  Even the new
whizbank Hasselblad meter prism finder I saw advertising lately has a
build in dome for incident.  Somebody was thinking.

When I started shooting chrome (and exposing for the highlights) I grew
to love the incident meter.  And as I began to do more heavy duty strobe
lighting, it became a necessity.

Recently my Gossen SBC got some water damage and has to go into shop, so
I bought the latest Sekonic L-308B ambient/flash reflected/incident
meter to back up the Minolta.  The Sekonic has become my favorite.  The
percentage of F/stop readout is a little hard to read quickly, but it is
so small and easy to use.  Perfect for M bag or shirt pocket.  About the
size of a pack of cigarettes.

Donal