Subject: Re: Moving from rangefinder to reflex
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 07:47:56 -0800

Doug Richardson wrote:
 I've bought an SL2. In a nice camera to use, but I'm very
> disappointed with the results I get. The image looks sharp through the
> viewfinder, but what's captured on film leaves a lot to be desired.

Doug,

I suspect you have a misaligned mirror or, more likely, ground glass.  I
have had such problem with Nikon mirror once (it had been dropped) and
it is a common fault with the Pentax 6x7.

One posibility is to mount camera on tripod, open back, focus via finder
on something close and easy to focus.  Then use a small piece of thin
tissue paper or velum on the film plane to focus.  They should agree.
If not, off to repair shop.

Donal Philby
San Diego